Updated: Chase bank in downtown Evanston robbed

A 35- to 45-year-old man robbed the downtown Chase bank Friday afternoon, police said. The robber is still at large.

Source: Evanston Police Department

Patrick Svitek, City Editor

A Chase bank in downtown Evanston was robbed this afternoon, according to police.

The robber, who is still at large, took more than $2,600 from the bank, 901 Grove St., police said. No one was hurt.

At about 3:30 p.m., the robber entered the bank, walked up to a teller and demanded money, according to police. He passed the teller a note that suggested he had a gun but never showed one.

Bank surveillance footage captured the robber inside and area surveillance caught him walking eastbound on Grove Street after he left. Police described him as a Latino or white man who is 35 to 45 years old, is 5 foot 8 and has a heavy build. He was wearing a black hat, blue button-down shirt, black pants, sunglasses and a dark-colored backpack.

Authorities looked for the man but could not find him. Evanston police and the FBI are investigating.

Citing police activity, the CTA and Metra halted their service in the area shortly after the robbery.

CTA spokeswoman Tammy Chase said El trains were stopped for 15 minutes at the Davis Street station along the Purple Line and resumed about 4 p.m.

Two Metra trains were delayed 12 and 19 minutes along the Union Pacific North Line in Evanston, Metra spokeswoman Meg Riley said. They were running again by 3:45 p.m.

Patrick Svitek

About the Writer
Patrick Svitek, City Editor

Patrick Svitek was City editor of The Daily. His other past positions include managing editor, online managing editor, Web editor, City editor, assistant...