Convicted felon charged with firing gun near Evanston Township High School

Gunn_EvanstonPoliceA 21-year-old convicted felon has been charged in connection with gunfire Tuesday afternoon near Evanston Township High School, police said this afternoon.

Officers already in the area caught Terrance J. Gunn, of the 100 block of Custer Street, as he fled the scene of an argument that led to gunfire shortly after 4 p.m. Tuesday, according to police. No one was injured in the exchange, and the alleged dispute happened on a front yard in the 1600 block of Dodge Avenue, which borders ETHS to the west.

Police said Gunn was carrying a .22 semi-automatic pistol when they stopped him in the 1700 block of Darrow Avenue. Officers also recovered a handgun at the scene of the incident but said they believe a second weapon was used based on shell casings found in the front yard.

Charges have not been filed against the second person in the argument, police said. That man was taken into custody, but witnesses were unable to identify him.

Gunn faces a felony charge of unlawful use of weapons by felon, a felony charge of unlawful possession of firearm with altered serial number, a misdemeanor charge of possession of a firearm without a valid firearm owner identification card and a misdemeanor charge of possession of firearm ammunition without a valid firearm owner identification card.

He is scheduled to appear in court June 27.

— Patrick Svitek