Northwestern alumni pledge $5 million to renovate Rocky Miller Park

Northwestern is getting a push to help raise the remaining funds to renovate Rocky Miller Park, the University announced today.

Richard and Roxy Pepper have pledged $5 million to NU and hope their action will spur more contributions. The Pepper family will make good on its pledge if the University raises the rest of the funds by Oct. 1.

The baseball stadium was named for Roxy Pepper’s father, Dr. J. Roscoe (Rocky) Miller, who was NU’s president from 1949 to 1970.

“We are grateful to the Peppers for their generosity and for their leadership in challenging others to help fund athletics, including critical renovations of Rocky Miller Park,” University President Morton Schapiro said in a news release. “The planned improvements will benefit both our student-athletes and our fans, but we need to meet our goal to make it all happen.”

The project includes building new home and visitor locker rooms, putting up a modernized scoreboard and expanding seating beyond its current 600 spots. Rocky Miller Park began hosting NU’s baseball team in 1943 and was last renovated in 1983.

The construction would allow the Wildcats to keep pace with their Big Ten competitors. More than half of the schools in the conference have built or renovated stadiums — or are in the process of raising money to do so.

“This challenge is a tremendous opportunity to help our student-athletes succeed at the highest level, and we need to build on the Peppers’ gift,” athletic director Jim Phillips said in the release. “Providing our players, coaches and fans with a beautiful, modernized facility will send a strong message about Northwestern’s commitment to the baseball program.”

The proposed project goes hand-in-hand with the new athletic complex NU announced last year. The lakefront facilities will include Ryan Fieldhouse, a multipurpose indoor space with an indoor practice and competition venue for intercollegiate sports.

— Josh Walfish