Updated: Smash Mouth to play Dillo Day afternoon rock slot

California-based Smash Mouth will play Dillo Day's afternoon rock band slot. The group is known for hits such as

Source: Facebook

California-based Smash Mouth will play Dillo Day's afternoon rock band slot. The group is known for hits such as "All Star."

Cat Zakrzewski, Campus Editor

Well, the years start coming and they haven’t stopped coming since you last listened to Smash Mouth, but the band will perform at Dillo Day.

“Hey, Northwestern, it’s Steve from Smash Mouth, and, yes, the rumors are true: We are playing Dillo Day,” vocalist Steve Harwell said Monday in a video announcement from Mayfest. “Come out. Let’s have a great time. Rock and roll.”

Rumors about the California-based rock band’s appearance began swirling when the group leaked a Dillo Day performance on a Facebook concerts application March 1. Smash Mouth, who gained fame in the 1990s with hits such as “All Star,” will perform Saturday in the afternoon rock band slot, beginning at 4:30 p.m.

“A huge part of planning Dillo Day is collaborating within our board to find an artist that is truly going to excite and engage the largest percentage of our community,” said Jeremy Shpizner, a Communication senior and Mayfest co-chair, in a news release. “We are confident that not only is Smash Mouth going to put on a performance that will pump up the student body, but also that through their mass appeal and prominence in everybody’s formative years they will unite a large portion of the campus to come jam out on the Lakefill.”

Walk the Moon, Danny Brown and Lunice will also appear at the music festival. The group has yet to announce the Dillo Day headliner.

— Cat Zakrzewski

About the Writer
Cat Zakrzewski, In Focus Editor

Cat Zakrzewski is the In Focus editor of The Daily and a Medill junior. Her past positions include assistant summer editor, Campus editor, Holiday Guide...