Evanston Police: Convicted felon caught with bullets, drugs during traffic stop

Elemo I. Mohamed was arrested Saturday after Evanston Police found nearly $9,000 in likely drug money and dozens of bullets inside a safe in his car following a routine traffic stop.
Source: Evanston Police

Evanston Police say they found nearly $9,000 in likely drug money and dozens of bullets when they pulled over a car with a convicted felon in it this weekend near the Chicago border.

Elemo I. Mohamed, 21, was riding in the vehicle when officers stopped it in connection with a minor traffic violation about 4:50 p.m. Saturday in the 1100 block of Howard Street, according to police.

While Mohamed was being patted down, he “pushed off” the car and started running away, EPD Cmdr. Jay Parrott said in an email. When officers caught up with the man and arrested him, they noticed he had tried to get rid of what they believe was a bag of about 6 grams of cocaine.

Back at the scene, officers found a locked safe and a small amount of marijuana inside the car, according to police. The officers called in drug-sniffing dogs to further inspect the vault.

After obtaining a search warrant, police said they discovered $8,700 — probably from illegal drug sales — and more than 70 bullets inside the safe.

Mohamed, of the 2200 block of West Highland Avenue in Chicago, was charged with possession of a controlled substance, unlawful possession of cannabis and unlawful use of weapon by convicted felon. He is scheduled to appear in court April 30.

— Patrick Svitek