Nick Swardson slated for A&O spring speaker

Source: Facebook

“Reno 911!” star Nick Swardson will perform stand-up comedy April 20 at Northwestern, A&O Productions announced this evening.

Swardson, who started in stand-up comedy before performing in the Comedy Central hit series, will speak at 8 p.m. at Pick-Staiger Concert Hall. Doors will open for the event at 7 p.m.

“He really … has arms in a lot of different areas of show business,” said Communication senior Eliza Helm, A&O’s director of speakers. “He writes, and he produces, and he also acts. We really just wanted to bring a strong, strong comedian.”

Swardson began his comedy career at 18, performing stand-up comedy in Minneapolis. He then moved to New York, where he continued his stand-up work and booked several small TV roles. In 2003, he co-wrote “Malibu’s Most Wanted” and landed a role in “Reno 911!” He has appeared in “The Benchwarmers,” “Blades of Glory” and the cult classic “Grandma’s Boy.”

A&O chairman Logan Koepke said the event was the first part of the organization’s spring programming. During Swardson’s show, the group will announce for A&O Ball on April 27.

The organization will again feature student performers prior to the celebrity performance. Communication junior Mary Gulino, Communication sophomore Alex Heller and junior Alec Kahn will be Swardson’s opening acts.

Tickets are $10 and will be available through the Norris Box Office website beginning Monday at 10:30 a.m.

— Cat Zakrzewski