Know your alderman? Meet some of the Evanston residents running in April’s City Council election

Manuel Rapada and Jia You

In less than two months, Evanston voters will head back to the polls to elect aldermen and a mayor.

Not all Northwestern students live in the same ward, especially those living off campus. In the coming weeks, The Daily will reach out to aldermen and their challengers for interviews and candidate profiles. Send questions for the alderman candidates to city@dailynorthwestern.com.

Here are the wards for most NU students:

NU students living in University housing west of Sheridan Road live in the 1st Ward, currently represented by Ald. Judy Fiske (1st).

Edward Tivador, superintendent of Northbrook/Glenview School District 30, launched his campaign against Fiske on Saturday. In 2009, Fiske defeated then-Ald. Cheryl Wollin (1st) by a nearly two-to-one margin. Tivador is a member of the city’s citizens’ police advisory committee. Fiske, a pet shop owner, sits on the rental unit licensing committee.

Ald. Jane Grover (7th) represents students living in University housing east of Sheridan Road, among other constituencies. The 7th Ward alderman, who is running for reelection unopposed, chairs the city’s administration and public works committee.

Off-campus students may find themselves in the 2nd, 4th or 5th Wards. The aldermen representing these wards — Ald. Peter Braithwaite (2nd), Ald. Donald Wilson (4th) and Ald. Delores Holmes (5th) — are all running unopposed in the upcoming election.

Evanston Mayor Elizabeth Tisdahl is also running unopposed.

— Manuel Rapada and Jia You

About the Writers
Manuel Rapada, Web Editor

Manuel Rapada is a Medill senior studying journalism, business institutions and integrated marketing communications. His past positions at The Daily include...

Jia You, City Editor

Jia You was the City editor of The Daily. Her other past positions include assistant City editor. She is from Shenzhen, China, and has interned at the...