Center for Student Involvement offers grant for creative collaboration

The Center for Student Involvement is challenging student groups to work together to create programming for the Northwestern community with the NUnite program.

Student groups can apply to receive up to $2,000 from CSI to fund an “educational, entertaining, and/or artistic event” as long as they pair up with another organization they have not worked with before. Applications to receive grant money for an event scheduled during Winter Quarter are due Monday.

“It’s a chance to get students involved in programming,” said Tracey Gibson-Jackson, CSI coordinator of student theater and performing arts. “It provides an opportunity to do some diverse programming.”

Gibson-Jackson said CSI gives $2,500 to $3,500 to fund events each quarter through NUnite. She explained that the number of applications varies greatly each quarter. Sometimes, the funding will be split among multiple events, she said.

“We disperse it out to the applications that stand out,” she said.

The grant has been available for years, Gibson-Jackson said, and the events sponsored by it vary greatly. For example, Sit & Spin Productions and A&O Productions teamed up to create a movie screening of “The Rocky Horror Picture Show” and a theatrical production of “The Rocky Horror Show” using NUnite money. Northwestern Students for Life and Sheil Catholic Center paired to use the grant money to host a pro-life film festival.

“(The NUnite grant) helps to build community and engage students,” Gibson-Jackson said.

Cat Zakrzewski