Northwestern trustees extend Schapiro’s contract

Patrick Svitek, Online Managing Editor

Northwestern trustees have extended University President Morton Schapiro’s contract for five more years, the NU board’s leader announced this morning.

The move ensures that one of the country’s most popular college presidents will remain at the helm of NU through the 2018-2019 school year.

In a news release, trustee chair William Osborn applauded Schapiro’s “inspired leadership” and dedicated commitment to the University’s strategic plan.

“I am honored by the faith the trustees have placed in me, first selecting me to lead this great University, and now by this action,” Schapiro said in the release. “Northwestern has an extraordinarily bright future, and I am excited to be part of it. My family loves it here, and there is no place I would rather be.”

Schapiro started as NU’s 16th president for the 2009-2010 school year after nine years leading Williams College.

— Patrick Svitek

About the Writer
Patrick Svitek, City Editor
Patrick Svitek was City editor of The Daily. His other past positions include managing editor, online managing editor, Web editor, City editor, assistant City editor, copy editor, reporter and designer. He is from Fort Wayne, Ind., and has interned at the Chicago Tribune, the Huffington Post, Medill News Service, Patch, The Journal Gazette (Fort Wayne,...