Football: ‘Jet team’ punt returners propel Northwestern to victory

Northwestern’s punt-return unit — known among players as the “jet team” — lived up to its name against Syracuse on Saturday, poising itself for a promising season after an underwhelming run last year.

Led by speedy junior Venric Mark, the jet team buoyed the offense early with two first-half returns for 134 yards, a school record, which included an 82-yard return for a touchdown. After fielding only eight punts last season, Mark is set to give the Wildcats one of the most explosive return units in the nation this year with his superior quickness and decision making.

Coach Pat Fitzgerald said the key to any successful punt returner is the ability to go out on a limb in order to create an opportunity.

“He’s got to be fearless,” Fitzgerald said. “He’s got to be willing to take a risk to make a play. I think (Mark) is as good of an example of that as anybody.”

Fitzgerald has consistently touted Mark as the best returner in the country this season. The junior said Fitzgerald’s praise pushes him to succeed on the field.

“When a player knows his coach has trust in him, he plays a better game,” Mark said. “If you feel like no one trusts you, then you aren’t going to play to your full potential. I know coach Fitz trusts me, I know my teammates trust me and I’m just going to go out there and give it my all.”

Mark attributed his dynamic punt returning to an improvement in vision that has allowed him to have more faith in his natural ability. He demonstrated that vision on his touchdown when he cut back to the opposite side of the field after seeing the whole left side was open.

Trust also plays an important part in a successful punt return: A returner must rely on his blockers to create space for him and prevent unexpected hits. That trust can be the difference in a returner taking a chance at running back a punt or waving for a fair catch instead.

“Being back there, one thing you have to make sure you do is trust your teammates,” Mark said. “Sometimes a guy will be five yards away from you, but if you trust your teammate will be there to cut him off, then you don’t have to fair catch it.”

NU does not have a coach specifically in charge of special teams, so several coaches oversee different units. Wide receivers coach Dennis Springer, who is responsible for the jet team, said Mark’s trust in his teammates distinguishes him as an explosive return man.

“He believes and trusts in the 10 guys in front of him and believes that they are going to give him an opportunity to catch the punt and be where they’re supposed to be,” Springer said.

Although Mark said he expects teams to kick to him in the future, the Cats have contingency plans if teams decide to kick away from him like the Orange did in the second half. Springer said the scheme is not much different in those situations, except the focus turns from clearing room for Mark to operate to making sure he has room to field the punt cleanly.

This team mentality that has helped the jet team become one of the best punt-return teams in the country. Mark was named the co-Big Ten Special Teams Player of the Week for last week’s games, but Fitzgerald named the entire jet team the recipient of the NU Special Teams Player of the Week award.

“We have a great jet team. It’s not just me individually,” Mark said. “There are 10 other people out there who take pride in what we do.”