NU graduates struggle to find jobs in tough economy

William Chang, dressed in a purple Northwestern short-sleeve shirt, set down his spoon and dropped his head when the question “have you found a job yet?” popped out at a lunch with his friends on campus. After a long pause, the new graduate answered with a forced smile.

“No, not yet,” he said.

The 22-year-old from Olathe, Kan., graduated June 16 from Northwestern University with a bachelor’s degree in biology. Now applying to medical school, Chang said he stayed on campus looking for a job in research or a local medical center for the interim. However, finding a job has been harder than he expected.

“I have tried many job interviews lately in Evanston and a few in my home state, Kansas,” Chang said. “So far, I had no luck.”

According to a Rutgers University study, half the college graduates since 2006 lack full-time jobs and 11 percent are unemployed. The New York Times says the unemployment among college students under 25 averaged 8.5 percent in 2011. Northwestern students have about the same statistics. A graduation survey done by the University Career Services showed 49.9 percent of the 2011 graduates have full-time jobs and 18.7 percent are currently unemployed.

The unemployment worries Chang.

“I know for some labs, the way the economy has played out is that they have trouble getting funding themselves,” Chang said, “This creates a lack of job opportunities for people who want that kind of appointment.”

According to Chang, employers in research care more about students’ experiences and publications than their degrees. Chang said he decided to go to medical school and hopes that the economy will be better by then.

Some graduates are seeking refuge in more schooling.

Doug Gibson, a 23-year-old recent Northwestern grad from California with a triple major in history, political science and voice, has encountered similar problems.

“I did take bunch of interviews, but none of them worked out,” Gibson said. “I decided to go to graduate school to buy a little bit more time before I get better and become more marketable than I am now.”

Lonnie Dunlap, director of University Career Services at Northwestern, acknowledged students’ concerns in a phone interview.

“There is much greater competition in the economy,” Dunlap said. “And students need to be prepared all the time. They need to have better preparation for interviews and keep their options open.”

Dunlap said that because students today study in many fields they should always try jobs in different areas.

“It’s also important to keep the connection with employers active, keep relationships … positive … and your contacts active so they will have you in mind,” Dunlap said.

Although upset about the recession, Chang said he understood things would get better.

“Its hard to pinpoint why you don’t get the position that you want,” Chang said. “It’s hard to figure out if it’s just the economy or if it’s the applicant side. That’s our life for now, and we just have to accept it.”