July 4th celebration has new additions

Evanston residents participating in July 4th celebrations will be featured in the PBS documentary “Constitution Land,” which will explore the nature of the Constitution.

Joan Ducayet, president of the Evanston 4th of July Association, said during the June 25th city council meeting that host Peter Sagal will ask Evanston residents about their feelings on the Constitution.

“So when the little smiling faces waving flags appear next spring on PBS, they will be little Evanston smiling faces,” Ducayet said.

Sagal and the film crew will also participate in celebrations, which will include a pie eating contest and playground games.

“When other cities and villages are continuing cut back on their Fourth of July celebrations, I am proud to say that the Evanston 4th of July Association will be putting on all aspects of the celebration that Evanston has come to expect,” Ducayet said.

The July 4th celebrations will begin with playground games at 9 a.m. The parade starts at 2 p.m. and the fireworks will conclude the day at 9:15 p.m.

The playground games, a new addition this year, will be located in Baker Park at the corner of Keeney Street and Forrest Ave. Redmoon Theater, a group that uses puppetry and other public spectacle, will also be making their first appearance at the festival.

Julianna Nunez