Resnick: The rules of attachment: a breast too far

I’ma talk about mamas if y’all don’t mind. This week, Jamie Grumet drew a lot of flak for breastfeeding her almost 4-year-old son on the cover of Time’s upcoming May 21 magazine. The image is running in conjunction with a story about attached parenting, which entails breast-feeding all the way into toddler years and co-sleeping, in which the child joins his or her parents in bed. It seems like most of the criticism directed towards the cover is predicated on the image itself, which features Aram standing very awkwardly on a chair with his mother’s breast in his mouth as he gazes into the camera. There is an argument that the posing of the photo doesn’t reflect the nurturing aspect of attached parenting because the pictured feeding is being done in a manufactured, unnatural manner. Imagine having to be the photographer and telling this child to put his mother’s breast in his mouth. I hope it didn’t necessitate too many takes.

What makes me most uncomfortable about the cover is the strange sexualization of Jamie Grumet. I don’t think I’m going on too much of a limb to say that she’s a very attractive 26-year-old woman. And I just find it unnerving that the magazine likely chose her for this express purpose. They took what is supposed to be a natural, intimate moment, and posed and airbrushed Jamie as they would any other model. She stands nonchalantly with a hand on her hip, sort of scoffing at the camera. It’s an image reminiscent of any runway model, as she looks out into the crowd with a stony, apathetic glare. With this cover, Time presents a vapid, sexual misrepresentation that skirts any real talk about attached parenting. Everyone raises kids differently, so I won’t fault Grumet for breast-feeding her little tot for so many years. Breastfeeding differs for children of various sizes and nutritional needs, but it’s not considered aberrant, weird behavior to continue it past the first year. But to do it in such a public arena, unabashedly trying to stir the pot of controversy makes the act seem off-putting and weird.

Breasts sell magazines. Even pregnant breasts sell magazines. When Demi Moore posed nude on Vanity Fair with a belly full of baby, I’m fairly certain people didn’t spend a dime on any other magazine that month. Time is no stranger to controversy either and they’re not