Technically speaking: Will Instagram lose its cool?

If you have not already heard, Facebook bought Instagram, the popular photo-sharing service with more than 27 million users, on Monday. In Facebook’s announcement of the acquisition, CEO Mark Zuckerberg said Instagram will remain independent. So nothing should change, right? Wrong.

If Zuckerberg words are to be trusted, Instagram will continue to fully support a range of social networks – including archrival Twitter – and users won’t be forced to share Instagram photos on Facebook. The problem is that it’s hard to believe him given the company’s history, especially within the last year.

I think a good model to use is Facebook’s partnership with Spotify. The relationship between the two services was one of the first to utilize what Zuckerberg calls “frictionless sharing,” the concept of sharing one’s activity without any additional effort required. So with Spotify, the songs you listen to are shared on Facebook by default. On one hand, this could be very useful. You may listen to a new band and want your friends to know, but you don’t even think about posting it on Facebook. Enter frictionless sharing, which lets your friends know about the song and everyone is happy listening to that new band. But people are also understandably and quite predictably pissed off that their Spotify activity is shared on Facebook when they listen to “Call Me Maybe” on repeat.

The widespread annoyance with Facebook’s frictionless sharing is likely what prompted Zuckerberg to clarify that Facebook doesn’t plan to force users to post Instagram photos to their profiles. That doesn’t mean that he doesn’t plan on incentivizing users heavily to do just that, and it’s a clever bit of wordplay for Zuckerberg not to say so. Nearing one billion users, Facebook has moved past the point where user growth can sustain its past trajectory. The only way for Facebook to continue to claim it’s growing is to increase the social network’s involvement in users’ lives, though I’m sure those aren’t the words Facebook would use to describe its strategy going forward. Buying Instagram and increasing its interconnectedness with Facebook, I believe, is a big part of that strategy.

I’m frequently reminded of the part of the movie The Social Network, when Justin Timberlake’s character, Sean Parker, tells the character Zuckerberg, “A million dollars isn’t cool. You know what’s cool? A billion dollars.” Whether the early days of Facebook were primarily driven with the goal of being cool, I do not know. But a sense of being fresh and new definitely drove the success of Facebook. It was this awesome social network, and you wanted to go there to share parts of your life.

But Facebook’s increasingly intrusive attitude is anything but cool. People are beginning to move some of their online activity from Facebook to other social networks such as Instagram. But after being bought by Facebook, Instagram may soon become, well, uncool.