BREAKING: G-8 Summit moved to Camp David

The White House announced Monday afternoon that President Barack Obama has decided to move the G-8 Summit to Camp David in Maryland from Chicago.

The announcement comes after months of controversy over protest fines and regulations planned by Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel.

“To faciliatate a free-flowing discussion with our close G-8 partners, the President is inviting his fellow G-8 leaders to Camp David on May 18-19 for the G-8 Summit, which will address a broad range of economic, political and security issues,” according to the statement from the White House.

The statement did not indicate the reason behind the decision. The North Atlantic Treaty Organization Summit, scheduled for the same weekend, will still be held in Chicago, according to the statement.

Both summits were going to be held at the McCormick Place Convention Center, 2301 S. Lake Shore Drive in Chicago. The summits often draw large groups of protesters, and Emanuel had proposed to levy higher fines against protesters during the event.

The 2012 G-8 Summit was the first to be held at a U.S. location since 2004. Several universities, including Northwestern’s School of Law, had rescheduled commencement ceremonies around the summits. The law school commencement was moved from June 18 to May 11.

Kris Anne Bonifacio

Editor’s note: This article incorrectly stated Camp David’s location. The article has been changed to reflect the correction. The Daily regrets the error.