Friedman: Rihanna sends wrong message with new song

Collaboration between Chris Brown and Rihanna fails to address his crime

On Monday, almost three years to the day after Chris Brown physically assaulted Rihanna, the pair released a song together called “Birthday Cake.”

In the words of Seth Meyers and Amy Poehler, “really?”

I’m all for public figures keeping their private lives private, as long as what they’re doing isn’t hurting anyone. But Chris Brown and Rihanna’s worldwide fame extends the damage far beyond the egregious physical abuse that took place.

Back in 2009, photos surfaced on TMZ showing Rihanna’s face brutally beaten, her features almost unrecognizable. During the ensuing court proceedings, it was revealed that similarly violent confrontations had occurred twice before. Chris Brown pleaded guilty to the assault and was sentenced with probation, community service and a restraining order.

Three years have passed, and Rihanna has since evolved into an international symbol for girl power. Her music, fashion and attitude project a hard-hitting, fearless feminine presence. Part of the development of this image seems to be an effort to overcome the violence and to rise up stronger than ever. In her music video for “Hard,” she presides over a squad of heavily armed soldiers while singing the lyrics “They can say whatever/I’ma do whatever/No pain is forever.”

Cut to three years later and Chris Brown and Rihanna are back to singing about sexing each other. Perhaps something has transpired between the two that has allowed this reconciliation to take place. However, nothing has been offered to the public to explain why Rihanna has suddenly had a change of heart. Without any sort of explanation, it is hard to imagine what would have prompted Rihanna not only to forgive but also decide to collaborate with her former attacker.

Their responses to the incident, or lack thereof, clearly have an enormous effect on the public. Chris Brown’s performance at the Grammys incited a deluge of tweets making light of the crime he committed. Some of the alarming tweets included: “I would let Chris Brown punch me in the face,” “Please beat me” and “I don’t know why Rihanna complained.”

The upsetting content of these tweets demonstrates the gravity of the responsibility that Rihanna and Chris Brown have to their fans. But instead of using their fame to send a positive message and usingthe crime as an opportunity to inform and educate, their new song suggests they are completely dismissing a condemnable action.

In “Birthday Cake,” Chris Brown sings “Been a long time/I been missing your body” and “Give it to her in the worst way/can’t wait to blow her candles out.” Rihanna’s lyrics include, “Remember how you did it/If you still wanna kiss it/Then come and get it.”

The public is calling for a just response to the collaboration. The media and bloggers have been abuzz over the controversy since the song’s release. Country singer Miranda Lambert has tweeted several times questioning the response to Chris Brown’s spike in popularity, including the tweet, “I don’t get it. He beat on a girl…Not cool that we act like that didn’t happen.” After that, Chris Brown responded with the tweet that he wasn’t going to listen because “I got a grammy now!” Fittingly, Lambert fought back through song.

In a concert in Amherst, MA. Lambert voiced her disapproval of Chris Brown before singing “Gunpowder and Lead,” her song about a woman getting revenge against her violent husband. The song emphasizes female empowerment in the face of domestic abuse: “I’m goin’ home, gonna load my shotgun/Wait by the door and light a cigarette/He wants a fight well now he’s got one.” Where Lambert takes a stand, Rihanna sends the message that women don’t need to confront their perpetrators.

Rather than taking a stand against chauvinism and violence against women, Rihanna is participating in the perpetuation of these affronts. At the very least, I want to hear that Chris Brown has convincingly apologized to Rihanna for his actions. With the new musical collaboration between the victim and abuser, and no reflection on the past events, all I hear is Rihanna saying that it’s O.K. to tolerate domestic abuse.

Natalie Friedman is a Weinberg senior. She can be reached at [email protected]

All opinions expressed in this column are solely the opinions of the columnist and do not reflect the views of The Daily Northwestern. If you would like to respond to the column, you may comment below, email the columnist or submit a 300-word letter to the editor to [email protected].