Watches become the new timeless trend

Ever since cell phones came on the scene with a brighter, faster way of telling time, our generation finds little need for the watch. But as of late, it has made an eye-catching return as an increasingly important statement piece. Both men and women take note, because the watch has become the accessory you didn’t know you needed.

Just because you don’t need a watch purely for its function anymore doesn’t mean you should overlook them. For women, wrist accessories are stealing the spotlight and watches are a big part of this trend. Women can choose from watches that vary from neon to neutral, rubber to leather-banded and large to small. Metal and menswear-inspired watches are also good options for women looking for their next favorite accessory. Stacking bracelets in either contrasting or matching styles, textures and colors is very on-trend as well, and a watch is the perfect way to punctuate a bejeweled wrist. If over-accessorizing isn’t your thing, a simple watch is the perfect way to complete your jeans and cardigan outfit. Watches can dress up your casual day outfit or add some personality to a formal outfit without competing with the rest of your ensemble. Today’s multitude of watch varieties means you can find one to fit and flatter your wrist.

For men, things can be a bit trickier. The watch stands alone for men (no extra wrist accessorizing for you, please), so the choice says a lot, but there are fewer varieties in details, which simplifies the choice. Face size, shape and color are the first things to keep in mind. Next, consider whether you want any extra detailing on the face or multiple knobs on the side of the watch. Finish out the thought process with a consideration on band material (leather, metal, rubber, cloth), width and color. It’s not uncommon for men to have only one watch, so before you make the purchase, picture yourself in your future 9-to-5 job, imagine your typical Saturday night socializing outfit, envision yourself on a date and then see yourself in a formal suit. Now add the same watch to each outfit. Once you’re happy with each of your hypothetical looks, make the purchase. A watch is a perfect way to add personal style to your wardrobe while keeping things masculine ­- and more importantly, mature – when accessory options are limited.

If you’re still not sold on a watch, there are, of course, other options. Women, invest in some fun bracelets in different colors, widths and textures. Wear them alone or together to add the perfect punch to an outfit. Men, if you just can’t find a watch that’s comfortable and looks great on your wrist, invest in some French cuff shirts and some fun cuff links for another form of wrist interest. Or accessorize elsewhere using pocket squares or tie clips. Showing attention to detail by watching what you put on your wrist can make a great impression in any situation.

Watches become the new timeless trend