Blotter: Jan. 24

Medical examiner confirms homicide suspect’s suicide

A medical examiner confirmed the suicide of the man discovered Saturday morning in the 100 block of Clyde Avenue, Evanston Police Department spokesman Cmdr. Jay Parrott told The Daily on Monday.

The man, identified as Dante Simmons of Rogers Park, was wanted by the Chicago Police Department in connection with the Friday night killing of a 22-year-old man at a River North Walgreens, 315 W. Chicago Ave.

EPD is also investigating whether Simmons was involved in a separate homicide Friday night near the corner of Chicago Avenue and Juneway Terrace.

“Nine mm handguns were used for both the suicide and the Juneway homicide and they were within a couple blocks of each other,” Parrott said. “It is being looked into that they’re possibly related but he’s not a named suspect.”

Suspect arrested in connection with rape of 15-year-old girl

EPD charged a 20-year-old Chicago resident with aggravated criminal sexual abuse in connection with the rape of a 15-year-old Evanston girl Friday night.

On Friday night, the Evanston girl was “hanging out with friends and consuming alcohol” in the 1700 block of Brown Avenue, according to an EPD news release issued Monday.

The man allegedly persuaded the girl to enter his vehicle and then forced himself on the girl “to have sexual intercourse,” according to the news release.

Officers arrived later Friday night and apprehended the alleged assaulter. They also discovered a loaded handgun in his vehicle and charged him with aggravated unlawful use of weapons.

The 20-year-old man will face those two charges, and one charge of contributing to the delinquency of a minor, in court March 2.

100 grams of marijuana seized

The EPD narcotics unit executed a search warrant Thursday that uncovered 100 grams of cannabis and $1,100 at a south Evanston residence.

“Those items of cannabis were packaged for sale,” Parrott said.

The resident, arrested at 7706 N. Marshfield Ave., was charged with possession of cannabis and possession of cannabis with intent to deliver.

He will appear in court Jan. 27.

– Marshall Cohen

View Jan. 24 in a larger map