Searle, Rogers House receive LEED certification

Searle Hall and Rogers House recently earned Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design certifications as a result of renovations completed last fall.

Facilities Management declared a commitment to achieve LEED standards on all new construction or major renovation projects of university buildings, according to the Facilities Management website. Searle and Rogers House join a list of Northwestern LEED certified buildings, including the Ford Motor Company Engineering Design Center, Harris Hall and Silverman Hall.

“Throughout history, the University has consistently been very interested in making self-sufficient buildings – we build buildings for a long life cycle,” said Jay Baehr, Facilities Management senior project manager. “When LEED came along, it was a way to manage that process … so it became University policy.”

Rogers House earned a Gold LEED certification by scoring 60-79 points out of the 100-point ranking scale developed by the U.S. Green Building Council. Searle Hall’s Silver LEED certification required a score of 50-59 points. LEED scoring is based on “whole-building cleaning and maintenance issues (including chemical use), recycling programs, exterior maintenance programs and systems upgrades,” according to the USGBC website.

Baehr was project manager of the $19 million renovation work at Searle, which included a 30,000 square-foot addition to the building. He said the construction was necessary to meet the needs of student health services.

Dr. John Alexander, acting executive director and medical director of Northwestern University Health Services, said the higher cost of some energy-efficient systems was worth the investment.

“From a social consciousness standpoint, I was very supportive of LEED certification,” Alexander said. “It’s a very good gesture for the administration to invest in this type of thing for the campus and for the environment.”

To achieve Silver LEED status, Searle Hall installed sensors to monitor lighting, heating and cooling systems and used environmentally friendly construction material such as water-soluble glue. Searle also collects rainwater in an underground cistern behind the building, Alexander said.

“The LEED process was very integrated into the initial design of the building,” Alexander said.

McCormick senior Josh Kaplan, a project manager for Engineers for a Sustainable World’s clean energy projects, lauded the LEED certification of Searle.

“It’s a big step for Northwestern because it helps to prove another sector can be energy efficient and sustainable,” Kaplan said.

Likewise, Kaplan said he was pleased to see the first residential LEED certification on campus at Rogers House. The $2.5 million renovation included a natural ventilation system and a heating system powered by steam, qualifying Rogers House for Gold LEED status.

Kaplan said the LEED certifications of Rogers House and Searle demonstrate just one way NU practices sustainability. However, he said there is more work to be done.

“Northwestern has renewable energy installed on campus, we’re buying renewable energy credits and we’re building LEED certified buildings,” Kaplan said. “We’re doing a good job, but the next big step at Northwestern will be hiring a sustainability coordinator to really set down a firm goal and plan for environmental efficiency at the University.”