Chicago: Landmarks to visit during your freshman year

Northwestern is a lot of work, but you can’t spend all your time studying. By now, you’ve probably heard about the big Chicago landmarks – the Willis (formerly Sears) Tower, Millennium Park, Navy Pier – but these aren’t the only things to see in the city. Here are some of the best places to explore in and around Chicago:

Millennium Park and the Bean

Probably the quintessential tourist spots, these sites are always crowded. The park is the perfect spot for a picnic on a nice day or a free concert in the evening. Millennium and Grant parks, which are connected, host many music festivals each summer, including Lollapalooza, and are home to other concerts when the weather cooperates.

The Magnificent Mile

The Magnificent Mile is a few city blocks away from the parks. This part of Michigan Avenue, sometimes referred to as Chicago’s Fifth Avenue, has some of the best shopping in the city. The stretch of road from the Chicago River to Lake Shore Drive has a great mix of stores and restaurants, the enormous Water Tower Place shopping mall and posh historic hotels.

Navy Pier

If you’re not into shopping, Navy Pier is also nearby. Most recognizable for its enormous Ferris Wheel, the Pier also has theaters, stages and gardens. It is also a great spot for the mandatory picture in front of the Chicago skyline.

Museum Campus

If the weather is too cold for outdoor wandering (which it is most of the time), the Chicago Museum Campus puts three must-visits right next to one another. Shedd Aquarium, the Field Museum and the Adler Planetarium are all located in the same compound. This can get expensive, though, as none of them are free except on rare discount days.

Chicago neighborhoods

These sites are all located in or near the Loop, just one of Chicago’s iconic neighborhoods worth exploring. For unique boutique shops and the best ice cream in the city, Wicker Park is the place to go. Lincoln Park, Boystown and Wrigleyville have great nightlife. Boystown is the heart of Chicago’s LGBT community, while Wrigleyville is, unsurprisingly, home to Wrigley Field.

Wrigley Field

Whether or not you are a baseball fan, Wrigley Field is a must-see. The historic ballpark and surrounding neighborhood offer plenty of entertainment. Recently, the Northwestern football team played a regular-season game at the baseball field.

Willis Tower

Willis Tower, formerly the Sears Tower, is worth the sometimes hours-long wait to go to the skydeck. The tallest building in the Western hemisphere, the view from the top is predictably humbling.

Historic movie theatres

Known for its theater district, Chicago also has many historic movie theaters. The Uptown, Biograph and Congress theaters still show movies in 1920s-style theaters, and the Biograph was the scene of a famous chapter in Chicago’s gangster history, as John Dillinger was shot right outside its doors.

Grosse Point Lighthouse

Not all of Chicago’s great sites are in the city. Evanston is home to Grosse Point Lighthouse, less than a mile north of Northwestern’s campus. This picturesque little park is right on the lake and includes a quiet, secluded beach.

Baha’i Temple

The Baha’i Temple, one of seven in the world, is a mile from the northern edge of campus. Its quiet, scenic gardens are the perfect destination study break or endpoint for a run.