Indiana passes bill to block federal funds for Planned Parenthood

Two weeks after the U.S. Congress turned down the proposal to deny federal funds to Planned Parenthood, the Indiana state legislature became the first in the country to pass a bill to block the organization’s federal funds.

Indiana Gov. Mitch Daniels announced Friday he will sign a bill into law that prohibits the state’s Planned Parenthood from receiving Medicaid or federal family planning money because the organization provides abortions. This money makes up about 20 percent of Planned Parenthood Indiana’s budget, according to Indiana Planned Parenthood CEO Betty Cockrum.

Federal law prohibits states from restricting family planning money, PPIN spokeswoman Kate Shepherd said, so there is a possibility the courts will block the legislation. The organization is applying for injunctive relief in federal courts to accomplish this, she said.

“The ruling should have an impact on other states contemplating this move,” Cockrum said.

Cockrum said she thinks if the law is not blocked, it may encourage other states to pass a similar bill. Following Congress’ April 14 budget vote, Kansas and Indiana submitted legislative bills blocking Planned Parenthood’s federal funding within their respective states. In Kansas, a bill diverting funds from the organization to state and local health clinics is already in state legislature, and Kansas Gov. Sam Brownback has vowed to see it through. Texas, New Hampshire and North Carolina are also looking into similar proposals.

U.S. Rep. Jan Schakowsky (D-Ill.), whose district includes Evanston, said she does not foresee a proposal similar to Kansas or Indiana in Illinois.

“Planned Parenthood is very strong in Illinois” Schakowsky said. “I don’t expect that we’re going to see something as radical as that.”

The debate over Planned Parenthood funding is part of the larger debate over abortion. However, Schakowsky said the state proposals are misguided because blocking Planned Parenthood funding does not affect the abortion debate.

“What they’re really doing is initiating a war on women, on women’s rights and contraception,” she said. “There’s already a law that prevents federal dollars to fund abortions. It’s an essential health service provider that the Republicans are going after. I think it’s going to spell the defeat of people who support this kind of proposal because it’s dangerous to women’s health.”

Schakowsky has been working to implement a federally funded health clinic in Evanston to serve low-income families. Restrictions on Medicaid and family planning funds would affect her ability to accomplish this.

“At some point, I would like to see the repeal of the restriction for public funds for abortions,” Schakowsky said. “Any effort to put restrictions on contraception, that is just so out of the mainstream. People who are anti-abortion should see that abortions are prevented by access to contraception. To force unplanned pregnancies to come to term in our country, they’ve cut the (Federal Women, Infants, and Children Program) to shreds. At every stage, women and their children are under assault.”

Cockrum said she thinks there is no connection between the Indiana legislation and the federal budget debate that took place weeks ago. During that debate, Republicans proposed cutting federal funding for Planned Parenthood nationally in an effort to cut the deficit and because it provides abortions. The proposal failed, and federal funding was continued.

“Even if nothing happened on the Hill during the winter and spring, states would still be having these debates,” Cockrum said.

Planned Parenthood Indiana receives about $3 million in federal funds and serves about 85,000 patients annually, while Planned Parenthood Illinois serves about 60,000 people each year. If Planned Parenthood Indiana loses its federal funding, it will have to cut services to 22,000 of its patients. About three percent of Planned Parenthood’s services involve abortions, according to PPIL CEO Carole Brite.

During the federal budget debate, students across campus joined the nationwide movement to voice support for Planned Parenthood. Many changed their Facebook profile pictures to flyers bearing slogans such as “I love Planned Parenthood and so should you” or took pictures of themselves holding supportive signs.

Indiana resident Elyse Ausenbaugh said she disagrees with the Indiana law.

“Regardless of whether you are pro-life or pro-choice, Planned Parenthood provides so many other services,” the Weinberg freshman said.

Safiya Merchant and Kris Anne Bonifacio contributed reporting.