Blotter 5/2: Two teens arrested in home invasion case

Police responded to a house on Ewing Avenue on Friday after two teens allegedly attempted to burglarize it, according to a news release from the Evanston Police Department.

A woman who lived at a house on the 2100 block of Ewing Avenue told police that two boys had knocked on her door Friday night, allegedly claiming they were looking for a person at a certain address. The homeowner spoke to the two teens briefly, according to the news release, and the pair left the house.

A few minutes later, the two teens knocked on the door once again and told the homeowner they could not find the house they were looking for. The woman then asked her husband to come to the door, when one of the teens asked to use the homeowners’ bathroom. After the woman and her husband refused to let him in, one of the boys allegedly pulled out a handgun and told the homeowners to “get back inside.” The woman and her husband then slammed the door and called police.

EPD searched the neighborhood and found three people near McCormick Boulevard and Golf Road, two of them matching the description of the teens who allegedly tried to burglarize the Ewing Avenue home. Police spoke to the three people and brought them in for further questioning. None of the three had a gun in their possession, however, so police returned to the area near the house. They found clothing that matched what the two boys were wearing at the time of the incident, and after calling in backup from the Skokie Police Department’s K-9 unit, they were able to find the handgun.

Cristian Hernandez, a 17-year-old resident of 2001 Grey Ave., has been charged with two felony counts of home invasion. He is being charged as an adult, and he is scheduled to appear May 11 at District II Court in Skokie. The second suspect, a 15-year-old Evanston resident, has been charged with two felony counts of home invasion and one felony count of residential burglary. He is not being charged as an adult, EPD Cmdr. Tom Guenther said, based on determination by Juvenile Investigators and the Cook County State Attorney’s Office.

Nothing was stolen from the house, Guenther said.