Hillel announces actor, comedian Eugene Levy will speak on campus April 11

Eugene Levy, the anchor of the “American Pie” movie series and a regular collaborator with director Christopher Guest, was named Fiedler Hillel’s 2011 speaker Monday.

The actor and comedian will speak on campus April 11 about his work and Jewish background in an event styled after the Bravo series “Inside the Actors Studio,” the Hillel speakers committee announced.

“We try to bring someone that is Jewish, will talk about a Jewish topic in some way, but also be entertaining for everyone regardless of your background,” said Mike Zaslow, president of the Hillel speakers committee.

The purpose of the event is to allow Hillel to engage students and contribute to campus, said Weinberg junior Ben Goldberg, president of Hillel atNorthwestern.

In past years, the organization has brought Jewish comedians Andy Samberg, Jason Alexander and Sarah Silverman. Last spring the group deviated from this theme by partnering with A&O Productions to bring singer and songwriter Regina Spektor for Dillo Day.

Levy earned acclaim for co-writing and starring in Guest’s films “Best in Show,” “Waiting for Guffman,” “For Your Consideration” and “A Mighty Wind.”

Zaslow said he wants to find out what Levy is like offscreen.

“One of the best questions we have for him is about how similar his parenting style is to his character in American Pie … and how much he’s really like that in real life,” the Communication senior said.

“A Conversation with Eugene Levy” will take place in Ryan Family Auditorium at 8 p.m. Tickets go on sale online and at the Norris University Center Box Office on Friday for $5.

Student improvisational and sketch comedy group Mee-Ow will open for Levy.

The event is open to the entire University – a point the Conversation’s host Ned Baker underscored.

“Hillel is not about Jews putting on special events for other Jews,” the Communication junior said. “It’s about Jews living in this greater community, and the greater community should be participating in that.”

Still, he said conversations about Judaism will be part of it.

“There may be some Jewish topics covered, but it’s not as if this is meant to be an exclusive event,” he added.

When speaking with Levy, Baker will take the role of James Lipton, the regular host of “Inside the Actors Studio.” He said he plans to ask the actor questions about his career, his college experience and his relationship with Judaism.

Students can submit questions for Baker to ask Levy beforehand, and a microphone will be passed around the audience during the event.

Baker said he has high hopes for the interview. Levy is supposed to be as friendly off-camera as he is talented on, he said.

“When you find out one of your favorite actors is an extremely nice guy or very friendly and personable, that’s a delight to know that you can be talented and rich and famous and still a good person,” Baker said. “I hear that’s the case with him. I’m looking forward to finding out.”