Blotter 3/30: Evanston man charged with auto burglary, drug possession

Two men accused of stealing scrap metal from property on Main Street

Police arrested two Evanston men on March 17 in connection with scrap metal theft, according to a news release from the Evanston Police Department.

Witnesses called police to the 2200 block of Main Street around 10:05 a.m.on March 17 to report a criminal trespass to land. The employees reported that they saw two men driving a U-Haul truck and that they were attempting to steal scrap metal from the back of the property. When they approached the truck, the two men fled the area.

Police broadcast a description of the two men and stopped Derrick Nisbitt, of 1827 Emerson St., and Theopolis Hood, of 1944 Jackson Ave., near the intersection of Church Street and Dodge Avenue. Witnesses identified the two men as the duo they saw attempting to steal the scrap metal.

Nisbitt and Hood are being charged with criminal trespass to land. The court date is set for April 14 in Skokie.

Police arrest two suspected burglars

Police arrested two Evanston residents on March 11 in connection with a burglary attempt at a house on the 700 block of Case Street, according to an EPD news release.

Police responded to a burglary in progress around 10:30 a.m. on March 11 and found two men who matched the description of the burglars. Officers chased the two men and stopped them near St. Francis Hospital, 355 Ridge Ave., and witnesses identified the two men positively.

Police took Vashaun Jackson, of 120 Clyde Ave., and a 16-year-old Evanston resident into custody, and further investigation led police to find stolen computers from another burglary in the 600 block of South Boulevard. The 16-year-old was charged with burglary for the computers and criminal trespass to land for the attempted burglary on Case Street. Jackson was charged with criminal trespass to residence.

Evanston man charged with auto burglary, drug possession

An Evanston resident witnessed a man steal from a parked car on March 11, according to an EPD news release.

The resident heard a glass breaking and saw a suspicious man standing next to a parked car in the 1300 block of Sherman Avenue around 6:13 p.m. on March 11. The resident called the police, suspecting the man was stealing from the car, according to the release.

Police arrived near the area and saw a man that matched the description of the car burglar. Officers took Paul McGee, of 1934 Jackson Ave., into custody, where he was positively identified as the man standing next to the parked car. Police found a checkbook, key chain and a Leatherman tool on McGee after searching him, as well as marijuana.

McGee was charged with one felony count of burglary to vehicle, one felony count of possession of burglary tools, one misdemeanor count of unlawful possession of cannabis and one misdemeanor count of possession of drug paraphernalia.