Recent alums share about life after Northwestern

Five recent Northwestern alumni spoke Thursday night as part of a panel called “5 Before 25” organized by the Northwestern Class Alliance. The event was the first of its kind in connecting current undergraduates to such recent graduates.

“This event was geared toward giving underclassmen the opportunity to talk about the transition from undergraduate life,” said Brendan Lovasik, a Weinberg senior and the vice president of NCA.

Lovasik said panelists spoke from the perspective of “if I knew then what I know now,” and answered questions about their favorite classes and student organizations at NU, as well as sharing experiences that affected their leadership abilities.

In contrast with alumni panelists of the past, Lovasik said NCA wanted the recent graduates to discuss student life and the undergraduate experience rather than internship and employment suggestions.

About 25 students attended the event.

Bienen freshman Valerie Zuckerman helped plan the event as an NCA member. She said the panel would hopefully create a sense of community.

“Like, you were in my shoes. I could be where you are,” she said of the panelists. “It’s another way to get in contact.”

Jenny Cota, Weinberg ‘09, said she was honored to be asked to speak.

“People seemed very excited to learn how we went from sitting in their seats to being grown up,” she said. “Everyone was eager and responsive to learn things about the real world and to take our advice.”

Medill freshman Stanley Kay said it was interesting to hear from such diverse and young panelists.

He said in his experience, panelists have not graduated as recently.

“Older people went to school here, and they have advice, but not as much perspective on how the school is now,” he said.

Cota said it was good to be back on campus.

“It was fun to see people walking around, and remember ideas I was exposed to here,” she said. “It felt like I was home again.”