UBPC analyzing student ‘priorities’ after completion of survey

The Undergraduate Budget Priorities Committee’s annual survey closed Friday after about a quarter of Northwestern undergraduates gave their thoughts on what campus issues administrators should tackle.

For now, students must wait to hear what the survey says.

“We have to take this time to dig through the survey data,” said UBPC committee member and Associated Student Government President Claire Lew, “to reflect on the great things students have said informally and formally and do research on what has been funded in the past, look at successful initiatives and compile well-researched proposals.”

UBPC officially released the survey Jan. 2, and distributed it to all enrolled undergraduate students the next day. According to Anil Wadhwani, the committee’s chair, the committee urged students to participate through e-mail lists, Facebook and posting flyers around campus.

“We wanted as many students to participate in this process as possible,” the Weinberg senior said.

In addition to the survey results, for the first time UBPC also invited student organizations on campus to serve as focus groups throughout the quarter, adding qualitative detail to quantitative data, he said.

Wadhwani said he could not reveal which groups plan to give their opinions, but added that if any have not been approached and would like to participate, they may contact him directly.

Lew said it is important to include as much undergraduate contribution as possible to more fully understand needs expressed.

“Anyone can tell you that student input is more than just numbers on a page,” the SESP senior said. “There are nuances to student opinion and student needs. We’re really proud of creating a survey that captures a lot of that, but we want it to be reinforced by anecdotes and hearing different aspects of student experience on campus.”

Kevin Shih, a Weinberg sophomore who did not take the survey, said he would be interested in participating in a focus group since he is on the student board for his residential college, the College of Cultural and Community Studies.

“I think a residential college would benefit, especially in terms of new equipment and furniture,” he said. “There have been attempts at communication for more funding, but no progress.”

Weinberg freshman Monte Nelson said he took the survey and remembers answering questions regarding financial aid and accessibility of technology on campus.

“(Filling out the survey) is a good idea,” he said. “You can choose not to, but it gives students a way to say what we want.”

After this information is compiled, the UBPC will present it to administrators including President Morton Schapiro, Provost Dan Linzer, Senior Vice President for Business and Finance Eugene Sunshine, Vice President for Student Affairs Bill Banis, Associate Provost for Undergraduate Education Ronald Braeutigam and several members from the Office of the Provost and the Office of Budget and Planning in February. The committee expects to hear feedback from the University early in Spring Quarter, Lew said.

The committee is simultaneously conducting peer institution research and doing cost-benefit analyses that will be included in its presentation to the administration, Wadhwani said.

He said he hopes to have as much information as possible by the time the committee presents to the University.

“As many students who are interested in talking to us,” he said, “we’d be happy to speak with them.”

Another prominent campus student group, A&O Productions, is also conducting a poll to solicit input regarding what types of events students are interested in attending.

That poll will close Friday.