Blotter 1/11: Two arrested after pushing, spitting at police

Two Evanston residents arrested after pushing, spitting at police

Police arrested two drunken Evanston residents at an ETHS basketball game Friday night after the residents spat at and pushed officers, police said.

An officer at the event saw two men who smelled of alcohol, Davis said. The officer asked them to leave.

The officer saw them again a few minutes later, and he told the pair to leave, but one of the two refused, Davis said. The officer arrested him. He then grabbed and shoved the officer. The other one attempted to interfere with the arrest by pushing and spitting. The officer arrested them both. They are charged with criminal trespass to property and resisting arrest.

Men caught with cocaine, ecstasy

Police arrested two Evanston residents on drug-related charges, police said.

An officer approached an illegally parked car on Dodge Avenue Saturday night, Evanston Police Cmdr. Jay Parrott said. Police found a man inside the vehicle counting some cash and saw three clear plastic bags with an off-white substance they thought was crack cocaine.

Another man inside the vehicle tried to run away, but the officer stopped him and found he was in possession of 12 pills of what authorities believed to be ecstasy. Both men were taken into custody, and the substances tested positive for cocaine and ecstasy.

$500 stolen from locked student’s room at Jones over Winter Break

The Northwestern student called University Police Sunday night after finding that $500 was stolen from a drawer inside the student’s room, UP Cmdr. Darren Davis said.

The student, who lives in Jones Residential College, 1820 Sheridan Road, had put the money, along with several quarters, inside the drawer before break. When the student opened the drawer to take the quarters out, the money were not there.

The room was locked before break, Davis said. The money, which is from ticket sales for a student performance, has not yet been found.

Overloaded outlet causes fire scare

The fire department responded to a fire call at the Zeta Tau Alpha house Monday morning, police said.

The student thought an electrical outlet in her room on the third floor of the Zeta house, 710 Emerson St., had caught on fire, Davis said. She saw flickering lights in her room, heard a pop from the wall outlet and saw sparks, so she called 911.

Residents evacuated the building. Officers found the outlet had been overloaded, which created the sparks, but there were no signs of an actual fire, Davis said.

Facilities Management disabled the outlet and repaired it.