Second Evanston day to feature basketball

Northwestern will hold its second Evanston Day on Nov. 30, this time featuring a basketball game rather than a football game.

Evanston residents can purchase discounted tickets of $17 to the game against Georgia Tech.

“We just love our Evanston community that we operate within, and we want to make sure that everyone has had the opportunity to come out and see a basketball game,” said Beth Cunningham, the director of basketball marketing. Cunningham worked closely with the City of Evanston to publicize the event.

The first Evanston Day was held Sept. 25 when the Wildcats played the Central Michigan Chippewas. Tickets to that football game were also $17. There was a pep rally in Evanston featuring several promotions from local businesses the day before the game.

This Evanston Day is more focused on charity, due to the holiday season. Evanston Day is joining with the Northwestern Student-Athlete Advisory Committee for a food drive, in partnership with Family Focus, an Evanston organization.

The committee will be collecting nonperishable food items at the game. Fans that donate to the food drive will be entered into a raffle to win free airline tickets for Southwest Airlines.

The committee has partnered with Family Focus for several years for a food drive close to the Thanksgiving holiday.

Cunningham said this year the drive is aiming to collect 1,500 items, which would feed 100 families. Ticket sales details for the 6 p.m. game are unknown, she said. She also said she hopes there will be many more Evanston Days in the future.

“We’re just looking forward to a great basketball game and a great environment,” she said.