YMCA’s 125 birthday bash has youthful theme

Evanston’s McGaw YMCA will mark its 125th birthday with cupcakes and coloring projects.

Wednesday’s celebration, held at the Children’s Center, will feature cupcakes, coloring and cake for children, as well as speeches for the adults, said Elaine LaFayette, marketing and communications coordinator.

“It’s kind of low-key compared to our other events,” LaFayette said. “We are thanking members for keeping us around for 125 years.”

The YMCA has held events throughout the year, including a kickoff gala in January. It is planning another gala to end the year in January 2011.

Northwestern students who volunteer with the YMCA’s Project SOAR, a mentoring program, helped set up the kickoff gala and sell raffle tickets. Development Coordinator Michelle Janke said she is relying on those same volunteers to help out at the closing gala. The proceeds from both galas benefit the YMCA’s youth programs.

The birthday celebration was planned as a children’s party because the event coordinators wanted to hold an event in the YMCA’s Children’s Center, Janke said.

“It will be a fun way to get children involved in the anniversary celebration,” Janke said.

YMCA President and CEO Bill Geiger will attend the party, along with the anniversary co-chairs and president of the board.

The YMCA opened on Nov. 17, 1885 at the corner of Davis Street and Chicago Ave. and served only young white men. There was a separate building for black members on Emerson Street from 1910 until 1969, though desegregation began in 1957.

“There was a perceived need to give, at that time, young men something to do,” Marketing Director Juliet Garrard said.

Since then, the organization has provided services for men returning from World War I and World War II, as well as families affected by the Great Depression. The building moved many times before coming to its present location on Grove Street, and the YMCA now includes programming for all ages, races and genders.

The YMCA celebrated the start of one of those programs, a sleep-away camp in Michigan, with a reunion for past members as part of its 125-year programming.

The Y has also marked the big year with alumni events, since one of the goals of the year is to recognize and reconnect with past members, Janke said. It is also planning a family film festival to reach out to members of all ages, among other events.

“Our goal for the anniversary year is just to raise awareness about McGaw YMCA in the community and recognize the impact it has had over the last 125 years,” Janke said.

NU has been one of the main sponsors of the year. Other organizations, such as Romano Brothers & Co. investment group, have sponsored the entire year or individual events.

The YMCA now also provides health and wellness services, children’s services and after school programs for members, Garrard said.

“It’s a place where community is valued and where you find aspects of life that are fundamental to building community,” Garrard said.