Man on the beat: Budding starlet Dillan Arrick

At first glance, Dillan Arrick appears to be a typical Northwestern student. She goes to class, she studies and is active in her sorority. But unlike most students, Arrick has modeled for Art + Science Salon and has appeared on NBC modeling for an Evanston clothing store.

Future model? She laughs.

“Anything to support this starving actress job of mine, sure.”

Arrick is one of 30 seniors in Northwestern’s Musical Theatre Certificate Program. Throughout her college career she has been cast in plays like “Hair,” “Peter Pan” and “Twelve Angry Men.”

But this Communication senior is more than just a college actress. Last year Arrick starred in two professional productions, one in Boston and the other in Chicago.

“It’s not typical for Northwestern students to be in professional shows, yet I was in two,” Arrick said. “Both experiences were crazy and exciting.”

During fall quarter last year, Arrick lived in Boston where she played the lead role of Emily Brook in the production of “Sparrow.” The show played every Thursday to Sunday for three weeks.

“Performing was awesome but also terrifying,” she said. “At home I am performing for family and friends. Here I am performing for students and teachers. So, looking out into an audience of unknown faces was a completely different experience.”

Besides the element of unfamiliarity, Arrick said the busy schedule was also hard to adjust to. When she portrayed Sam in the Chicago production of “Girls vs. Boys,” she was taking Northwestern classes during the days and going to rehearsal during the nights.

“It was hard but at the end of the day I got to perform,” Arrick said. “Being on that stage meant more to me than the hardships of that day’s rehearsal.”

Although she still doesn’t know what specific performing art she wants to pursue, Arrick said she wants to be like Meryl Streep, her role model.

“In terms of acting, Meryl Streep is just so good and smart,” she cooed. “I think Hollywood has become so tainted by women who are not grounded, smart and strong. But Meryl is all of that plus talent, plus a mother, plus successful and highly respected by others. She is just everything I wish I could be.”

Just three years ago Arrick said her dream was to win an Oscar and be on Broadway. But the budding actress has since changed her goals.

“The industry I want to go into is so hard, so I am becoming okay with being successful doing the thing I love, which is acting and having a family.”