15 Minutes with Neo-Futurist member Ryan Walters

The Neo-Futurists’ “Too Much Light Makes the Baby Go Blind” isn’t your average theater production. The show celebrated its 21st anniversary earlier this year, and the ensemble manages to cram 30 plays into one hour. On top of these achievements, they’ve ordered almost 2,000 pizzas to keep the promise that when they sell out, they order out. The Weekly talked with Ryan Walters, a member and current artistic director of the Neo-Futurists.

TW: How did you get involved with the Neo-Futurists and “Too Much Light Makes the Baby Go Blind”?

RW: When I first moved to Chicago, I saw the show and thought it was awesome. It was something I wanted to be a part of it. The style really appealed to me. I took classes there, I ran tech for “Too Much Light” for a while, and then I auditioned for the company. I did a lot of different things before I was cast.

TW: If “Too Much Light” isn’t improv or sketch comedy, what exactly is it?

RW: The show changes every week. It’s 30 plays in 60 minutes. We all write plays for the show and we don’t play characters. All the material is drawn from our lives. The show is different from a sketch comedy where you’re using improv to create tension. The material in “Too Much Light” can be serious, funny, political, personal.

TW: So what’s the appeal of seeing 30 plays in 60 minutes?

RW: The 30 plays in 60 minutes format is really exciting to watch and very audience interactive. When I first saw it, I found it really inspiring. It made me want to write and perform.

TW: How much work goes into preparing for a show?

RW: Quite a bit. “Too Much Light” runs Friday, Saturday and Sunday, and we have a rehearsal on Tuesday night where we pitch new plays and rehearse. Between Sunday and Tuesday night, I have to write for the show. Usually, it’s at least two new plays, oftentimes more, depending on how many we roll that weekend. So you have a lot of writing to do in a short amount of time. And then you only have between Tuesday and Friday night to memorize everything. There’s a lot of work both outside the theater and inside.

TW: What’s been your favorite part of being a part of “Too Much Light”?

RW: Pizza! Just a lot of things. It’s cool to be part of a theater company that is like an artistic home base. I often admire a lot of the work of the other ensemble members. They’re really creative, funny, and smart. Performing in the show is a blast.

TW: Is there anything people can expect when they come to a show?

RW: I think you can expect to leave feeling like you know the performers a little bit better – the way that they view the world and if you identify with that or not.

“Too Much Light” plays every Friday, Saturday and Sunday at the Neo-Futurariam (5153 N. Ashland St.)