Robyn Gabel elected to state house

Democratic state representative Robyn Gabel was elected for a full term in the Illinois General Assembly on Tuesday night.

Gabel ran unopposed, although write-in Libertarian candidate Steve Funk posed a possible challenge for the 18th District seat. Gabel celebrated her win at a joint watch party with U.S. Rep. Jan Schakowsky(D-9), who won another term, at the Firehouse Grill, 750 Chicago Ave.

Gabel said she’s looking forward to her full term in the Illinois General Assembly, especially because she’s been hard at work all summer, figuring out her agenda for the next two years.

“I’ve been meeting with lots of experts and going to national conferences to really help figure out the budget,” Gabel said.

Her main focus will be on the economy, she said.

“What I’ve learned is that what we really need to do is build the economy and get more jobs here,” Gabel said. “I’m looking at growing jobs in the green economy.”

She said she was also working with the Illinois Science & Technology Coalition and she and other legislators are hoping to form a research and development caucus in the General Assembly.

She also plans on looking into the possibility of offshore wind projects, she said.

Democratic state senator Jeff Schoenberg announced Gabel’s win and Schakowsky’s win at the watch party. He welcomed Gabel as the newest member of what he called “the nerve center of Illinois politics.”

“When you put me, Jan, (Cook County Board District Commissioner) Larry (Suffredin), Robyn, and hopefully, (17th District State Representative candidate) Daniel Biss, together, you’ll never find a group with more nerve than we have in Evanston,” he said.