Burgwell Howard invites students to town hall meeting to discuss off-campus issues

Exactly one week after sending an e-mail to all off-campus Northwestern students regarding inappropriate behavior, Dean of Students Burgwell Howard sent them another one about the same subject Thursday evening.

But while last week’s e-mail contained complaints from an angry resident and threats of increased police presence, Thursday’s included something very different: an invitation.

“In order to continue this dialogue, it is important that we have an opportunity to gather as a community,” Howard wrote in announcing a town hall meeting and inviting all off-campus students to attend.

The meeting, which will address students’ concerns with their Evanston neighbors, is scheduled for 7 p.m. Tuesday in the Technological Institute’s Ryan Family Auditorium. It is open to all NU students to attend and discuss issues related to off-campus living.

“This is a good opportunity for students on campus and off campus to talk with University administrators about their concerns before we engage city officials,” Howard said in an interview with The Daily.

Administrators are planning to meet with city officials about off-campus student behavior next week, he said.

After a weekend of heavy student partying on Oct. 8 to 10, complaints from city residents prompted Howard to send a message to off-campus students condemning their behavior. The e-mail received more attention after being published on the gossip blog Gawker.

“Northwestern students, just like anyone else, appreciate the opportunity to voice their own opinions and engage in a dialogue, not just receive a one-way message from the administration,” said Ethan Merel, vice president for external relations for the Associated Student Government.

The University typically invites student and non-student residents to an open discussion of off-campus issues once per quarter, but student turnout is usually slim, Howard said. Neighbors end up doing most of the talking, and the students who are there sit and listen, he said.

While Howard did not offer an estimate for expected student attendance at Tuesday’s town hall, he said he’d be happy if 200 came.

Terri Shih, who lives on Garnett Place, said she hopes this meeting is a first step leading to further improvement in the student and Evanston resident relationship.

“It’s pretty obvious that there’s a lot of tension between Northwestern and the surrounding community,” the Communication senior said. “But NU students don’t like having this impression that all we do is party.”

Howard said most of the feedback he has received from students about the town hall has been positive. The students hope to engage in serious conversation about how to improve their relationship with their neighbors, he said.

“In general, I think students were in agreement that the most egregious behavior was unacceptable,” Howard said.

The town hall should help to blur the line dividing student and non-student residents off campus, Merel said.

“We don’t want to refer to these issues as ‘Evanston residents’ and not NU students,” he said. “NU students are Evanston residents, just a different type.”