The Scoop: Spaghetti tacos

People like spaghetti. People like tacos. But spaghetti tacos? Most people haven’t even heard of the dish.

Until now, at least. The New York Times reports that after the characters on Nickelodeon’s hit TV show iCarly featured the Italian-Mexican concoction, kids and preteens started asking their parents to make spaghetti tacos for dinner. On the Internet, crafty moms from all over the country have been exchanging their own tips and tricks on how to make the best of the new food sensation.

Curious to see what the hype was about, I decided to venture into the weird and wacky and make my own spaghetti tacos. Is it weird to say I wasn’t surprised they were actually good? The crunch of the taco shells accompanies the tomato sauce quite nicely, and the noodles filled me up. Maybe it’s because I’m like a garbage disposal and will eat pretty much anything, but I foresee many spaghetti taco nights at my place in the near future. My roommates, however, might not be so happy.

Even though iCarly is primarily geared toward an audience way younger than Northwestern students, spaghetti tacos are college student-friendly because they’re cheap and easy-it only cost $12 for enough ingredients to make 12 tacos. Plus, if you live on campus, most likely you’ll have easy access to all of the ingredients.

Directions:

1. Boil water and cook pasta for 12 minutes. After pasta is done, drain the water.

2. Heat up jarred pasta sauce (Add ground beef, if you like. The recipe is also fine without meat).

3. Thoroughly mix noodles with sauce.

4. Insert noodle-sauce mixture into taco shell. Voila! Your very own spaghetti tacos.