SHIFT turns the Rock into a canvas

Comments about Sarah Palin, Zeus and Darth Vader decorated the Rock on Thursday after members of Secular Humanists for Inquiry and FreeThought painted it white in honor of International Blasphemy Rights Day and invited students to write on it.

Quotes from the Bible and an image of a “dead zombie Jesus” adorned the campus landmark, along with phrases ranging from “All NU students are conceited” to “Go Packers.”

Some of the writings attacked fraternity and sorority life. One student grabbed a marker and quickly scrawled on the surface, “What’s up with all the bees?”

Some waxed philosophical: “There’s no secret to life,” one anonymous author opined. “We’re all just chillin’.”

SHIFT members stood by the Rock all day encouraging those walking by to write anything on the Rock with different colored markers. Many chose to draw profane images and write four-letter words.

“We’re all pretty good at blaspheming,” said Harry Noble, the group’s events coordinator. “We figured we’d give the rest of the campus a try.”

While several writings attacked religion, no one appeared to attempt to draw the Prophet Muhammad – a controversial action that has been associated with SHIFT since last spring.

In May, members of the group chalked images of the Prophet Muhammad around campus to “make a statement that we support the freedom of expression, specifically that we stand behind South Park,” SHIFT President Cassy Byrne said at the time, in the wake of an uproar over a censored South Park episode. Drawing Muhammad challenges deeply held beliefs regarding idolatry in Islam.

In the ensuing controversy, NU President Morton O. Schapiro called the drawings “a mistake.”

International Blasphemy Rights Day commemorates the anniversary of a Danish newspaper’s publishing of cartoons depicting the Prophet Muhammad in 2005. It is promoted by the Center for Inquiry On Campus’s “Campaign for Free Expression.” The campaign instructed students to use the day “to support free speech, support the right to criticize and satirize religion and to oppose any resolutions or laws … that discourage or inhibit free speech of any kind,” according to its website.

Some reacted to the celebration of blasphemy in today’s political and religious culture.

“Sometimes it is more courageous to be respectful than it is to blaspheme,” said Rahma Bavelaar, a fourth-year graduate student in religious studies

Members of SHIFT did not encourage students to draw or write anything specific.

“We kind of just made the canvas,” said Geoff Minger, SHIFT’s vice president, adding that the Rock now featured “quite a few wieners.”

By 4 p.m., Noble estimated more than 100 students had drawn on the Rock.

“We’re running out of space, frankly,” the Weinberg senior said. “People have been having a lot of fun.”

Members of SHIFT’s executive board came up with the idea to turn the Rock into a canvas for free speech at a conference over the summer, Byrne said. The Rock is “really the centerpiece of campus,” the Weinberg junior said.

One student who stopped to write on the Rock, Emily Kaht, said she was surprised at some of the images and phrases students had chosen to write.

“I’m kind of disappointed that NU students, on the whole, are so profane and judgmental,” the Weinberg sophomore said.

Kaht wrote two phrases on the Rock, she said – one that said “Rachel isn’t good enough for Finn,” a reference to the show Glee and the phrase, “God is real,” to which someone added “-ly gay.” Kaht said she was offended by the addition and planned to cross it out.

Though some students were offended, SHIFT members said the day was a success. The group plans to repeat the event next year.

“It looked perfect,” Byrne said. “It was exactly as we envisioned it.”

SHIFT turns the Rock into a canvas