Digging into The Buried Life

From sneaking into the Playboy Mansion to trying (and failing) to play basketball with Obama, the boys from The Buried Life have documented some amazing moments on camera. The Weekly talked with cast member Jonnie Penn about the newest season.

Excerpts:

TW: So for people who are unfamiliar to the show, what is the premise of The Buried Life and where did you get its name?

JP: It’s basically you and your friends writing a list of stuff you want to do before you die, and some of them are very crazy. It basically shows how you go about accomplishing them, so if you and your friends wanted to play basketball with the President and you don’t know how to do it, you can watch how we go about doing it.

The name “The Buried Life” comes from a poem that I read in the second year of college. There’s a lot of shit that buries you, just day to day, there are so many things in the world that get on top of you.

TW: How does it feel when people tell you that you guys have been inspiring to them?

JP: We don’t really know what to do with ourselves. We’re very flattered, to be honest. We don’t really know what to say. We kind of started the whole thing for our little circle of friends. Our friends have been pretty receptive to it, so that’s kind of the rule we settled it by.

TW: The new season looks even crazier than the first. Do you ever get scared of getting in trouble or not pulling something off?

JP: I’m not really scared of not succeeding because it’s still really satisfying. In our first episode, our goal was to streak and to get away with it. We put together this big plan of how we could be the first people to ever to streak a game and manage not to get caught. We ended up going to jail and it turned out to be an even better story. I don’t mind not succeeding every time.

TW: So are they showing you in jail in that episode?

JP: Yeah, we actually have to go to back to court pretty soon. MTV doesn’t really help us do these things. We’ve learned from the first season that people thought that MTV was pulling the strings behind the scenes. We have a disclaimer at the beginning of each episode that says MTV does not help us do these things.

TW: Do you think getting into that legal trouble is worth it in the end?

JP: Yeah, the lifestyle that we lead now making this show isn’t for everyone, but it serves a greater purpose, which is making a really great show. Also, showing that these things are possible if you put your mind to it. And it’s entertaining to watch.

TW: What do your parents and friends think about the antics on the show?

JP: My parents just laugh about it. My dad used to get into all sorts of stuff when he was my age so he understands. My mom just turns her head sometimes. We’ve had good things happen. We got to go on the Oprah show and talk about The Buried Life and my mom got to go on that so she was pretty stoked.

TW: Do you have any advice for college students who want to make a difference in the world or in their lives?

JP: Team up with your friends, even if you’re not good friends with them, work with people that push you or inspire you or make you think differently. Push yourself, don’t settle. If you want to do something, aim five steps higher than what it is you want and see what happens. And eat a lot of sandwiches.