Blotter 10/01: Frequent Dunkin’ Donuts steals store’s tip jar

Frequent Dunkin’ Donuts customer turns thief, stealing store’s tip jar

A woman snatched a tip jar containing $30 from the counter of Dunkin’ Donuts in the Davis Street El station, 1612 Benson Ave., police said.

The manager, who was standing at the counter when the theft occurred on Wednesday, told police that the woman walked over, grabbed the jar and walked away, said Evanston police Cmdr. James Pickett. The thief is a frequent customer, the manager told police.

The manager did not file a complaint, Pickett said. Instead, she asked police to ban the thief from the station. Pickett said police will probably escort the thief out if they see her there again.

Man trashes car on Hartrey Avenue

A man ripped up the interior of a Volkswagen and poured gasoline on it Wednesday on the 600 block of Hartrey Avenue, police said.

Someone who lived on the block stepped outside and saw the man vandalizing the car, Pickett said. The vandal then fled.

Damage to the car was “extensive,” Pickett said.

Police traced the car’s registration to Chicago but were unable to contact the owner, Pickett said.

BlackBerry phone goes missing

Someone took a student’s BlackBerry phone Sept. 23 after the student left it in a classroom at the Frances Searle Building, 2240 Campus Drive, police said.

The student set the phone down and forgot about it, University Police Cmdr. Ronald Godby said. When she returned two hours later to retrieve her phone, it was gone.

The student did not report the crime until Tuesday, Godby said.

$1,600 worth of bikes disappears

A motorbike and a mountain bike worth a total of $1,600 vanished from 1915 Maple Ave. on Tuesday, police said.

The bicycles, which were locked together, belonged to a Northwestern student, Godby said. Because the area has no surveillance cameras, there are no suspects.