Work-study jobs become more competitive during latest recession

With the recession in its third year, many Evanston residents-including several Northwestern work-study students-face increased job competition and budget challenges.

“When I get out of college, it’s less likely there’s going to be a job available for me,” Medill junior Zach Warren said. “I’m trying to build up a little bit of money.” Warren works on the operations staff at Norris University Center.

U.S. Congress established the Federal Work-Study Program in 1964. According to NU’s work-study website, the program promotes part-time employment for students with financial need. Positions are available to NU students at on-campus locations, such as Norris and the University Library, with individual professors and off campus.

Anne Horne, the University’s work-study coordinator, said though the number of students who receive work-study positions has stayed consistent, it has become more difficult for students to receive positions later in the academic year.

“Two years ago, there were always jobs available,” she said. “In these past few years, you need to find your job in Fall Quarter. There are not as many jobs offered.”

Katie Belleville, who works at the information desk in Norris, sees a similar trend. “Jobs fill up, and there aren’t as many positions,” the Bienen senior said. “It’s very difficult as the year goes on.”

Warren, who works 10-12 hours a week during the school year, said that students who don’t have NU’s work-study program built into their financial aid packages face more competition.

“They still need money. Everybody needs money right now,” Warren said.

Some students working on campus this summer use their salaries for day-to-day living-a change from how they spend their earnings during the school year.

Belleville, who is working about 30 hours a week this summer, pays for her apartment and other necessities with work-study income. During the school year, she uses her salary to buy books.

Center manager Rebecca TeKolste agreed with Belleville. Throughout the school year, the Weinberg junior spends her income on books and food, but she uses her work-study job to pay her rent over the summer.

Employers pay 30 percent of work-study students’ paychecks, while the government pays the rest, said Horne, the work-study coordinator.

In Evanston, the Cultural Arts Division hires two or three work-study students during the academic year. Cultural Arts Director Jeff Corey said the division relies on students for administrative support.

“The recession has probably made the work-study program more indispensable than ever in terms of enabling us to carry out our programs,” he said. “It helps us maintain our programming levels a little bit more affordably.”Lindsay Ellis is a student in the journalism division of Northwestern’s National High School Institute.