Regina Spektor, Guster, Nelly and others rock Northwestern on sunny Dillo Day

Northwestern students put studying on hold Saturday to enjoy a day that featured popular songs, a few throw-backs, some mash-ups, 80-degree weather and fireworks.

“It went perfectly,” said Weinberg senior Katie Halpern, co-chair of Mayfest. “The weather was great, the acts were so energetic, every single one of them, and our attendance was the best it’s ever been at a Dillo Day.”

This year’s annual Dillo Day celebration included music from student hip hop band Looney and the Tunes, singer/songwriter Regina Spektor, acoustic-pop group Guster, student DJ Practical Tactical, hip-hop artist Rhymefest, mash-up artists Super Mash Bros. and rapper Nelly.

Students sang along to some of Spektor’s most popular songs, including “Fidelity,” “That Time,” “Eet” and “Samson.”

Weinberg sophomore Greg van Lunteren said that although the artist he was most looking forward to seeing on Dillo Day was Nelly, Spektor was “a really close second.”

“She was fantastic. She’s an incredible singer,” he said. “The amount of stuff she can do with her voice is incredible.”

Spektor addressed the crowd numerous times throughout her performance.

“We love you guys,” she said. “This is for all of the students who studied, and everyone who’s waiting for life to teach them.”

Between performances by Spektor and Guster, both of which Halpern said had audiences of between 4 and 5,000, University President Morton O. Schapiro took a few minutes to tell students to “have a great day” and “take care of each other.”

“I know you don’t want to hear from a guy on stage with no talent,” he said jokingly.

Guster’s performance included a few recent NU graduates in the horn section, a special feature for Dillo Day.

The group played classic hits such as “Hang On,” “Satellite,” and “Manifest Destiny,” as well as some new songs that will be on an album coming out in the fall.

“Last time we played a Dillo Day festival here, most of you were three or four years old,” the group’s front man said.

Super Mash Bros. made the crowd dance with mash-ups of 90’s songs and today’s hits.

About halfway through their performance, the trio handed out roses to the crowd.

But rapper Nelly drew in the biggest crowd of the day, at more than 9,000, Halpern said.

He played hits including “Dilemma,” “Country Grammar” and “Hot in Herre.”

Weinberg senior Madina Sarkulova said she was most looking forward to seeing Nelly.

“He’s so middle school,” she said.

Halpern said one of the best parts of her night was reading a Twitter update from Nelly after the show.

“Northwestern was of(f) the (expletive) chain!!!! Dat (expletive) was nuts,” Nelly said in the tweet, also noting the large size of the crowd.

“I will also not forget seeing one of Nelly’s back-ups taking a picture on his phone of the crowd while he was on stage,” Halpern said. “I think that’s a pretty good indication that you’re happy with the ambience.”