International search for NU-Q Dean John Margolis’ replacement begins

An international search for a successor to John Margolis as dean of Northwestern’s campus in Qatar has been officially launched.

The search firm Witt/Kieffer is assisting with the appointment, which could begin anytime between August 2010 and June 2011.

In a message sent to members of the University community, Provost Daniel Linzer said under Margolis’ leadership, NU-Q has been “successfully launched with outstanding faculty, students and staff” and is progressing on endeavors such as the construction of an NU-Q building.

“As we look at what has been accomplished to date at NU-Q and what is planned for the future, it is important that we maintain our momentum by avoiding any gap in leadership and provide sufficient time for a smooth transition,” Linzer said in the message. “It is thus prudent to launch our search now for the next dean, who would begin no later than July 1, 2011.”

According to a job posting online, responsibilities include articulating a vision for NU-Q, developing a strategic plan, implementing priorities such as the construction of the new building and recruiting faculty.

The search is in the beginning stages, with the position just recently being posted, said Associate Provost Jake Julia, who is staffing the search.

“We’ve been very lucky as a university to have John as a dean,” Julia said. “We’re looking forward to hiring another fantastic person to succeed him.”

Margolis said he was appointed dean of NU-Q in December 2007 and took residence in Qatar in June 2008. Despite the challenges involved in launching an NU campus “7,000 miles and nine time zones” away from Evanston, Margolis said the NU-Q community has pulled together “marvelously.” He said he will look back on his years at NU-Q with “enormous affection.”

“The people are the heart of NU-Q,” Margolis said.

During his time left at NU-Q, Margolis said he will help the campus continue to meet the needs of a growing program. Next year, the first admitted class of NU-Q students will be juniors, and NU-Q will have to adjust to make sure the curriculum fits upperclassmen, he said.

“The opportunity to have a leadership position within Education City is the type of opportunity that rarely presents itself to an academic administrator,” he said.

After his retirement, Margolis said he will continue to follow the growth of NU-Q with great interest.

“I’m going to be 70 next year, and I’ve been on faculty at Northwestern since 1966,” he said. “It’s time to smell the roses, and the roses in Qatar are imported.”[email protected]