Mayfest hosts first Open Mic Night

Under the fluorescent lights on the ground floor of Norris University Center, students showed off their singing and strumming chops Monday night. The first Open Mic Night hosted by Mayfest drew several acts ranging from guitar-playing singers to a cappella groups. Though the event was originally scheduled to take place as a bonfire on the Lakefill, the cold and rainy weather forced the fun inside, said Josie Chai, co-director of special events.

“We wanted to make it an outdoors thing to give it a more laid-back vibe,” the Communication senior said. “We still got to showcase a lot of great student performers, though.”

Open Mic Night closely followed Philfest, which took place on Norris’ East Lawn on Sunday. The events were put on by different groups and were drawing on segments of the Northwestern student body, said Mayfest promotions co-chairwoman Karen Werling.

“This gives that large group of student musicians on campus their opportunity to show what they can do,” the Medill senior said. “There’s so much talent outside of just those who play Battle of the Bands and similar events. This is a way to showcase them.”

Attendees helped themselves to s’mores ingredients at the encouragement of the first act, Nick Runkle said. The junior in the School of Continuing Studies decided to participate after reading about the event on Mayfest’s website. Runkle said Open Mic Night allowed him an opportunity to showcase his original songs and “get my music out there.”

“Compared to my living room, this venue is huge,” he said. “Besides, they have a microphone here-I don’t have one of those at home.”

About 50 students helped themselves to the marshmallow-and-cracker treat, cheered on friends or put away homework to wander over to the area and watch the acts. For Commuication sophomore Dylan Mombach, the free music and easy atmosphere was an enticing draw, he said.

“The mix of groups is really good,” Mombach said. “So often, you go and you can only hear a cappella or guitar or whatever else, but here there’s a great mix of performers.”

The event was a stress-free way to practice songs and promote a cappella group Purple Haze’s upcoming spring show, said Music Director K.C. Schlossberg. Groups often get caught up in their own performances and forget about other musicians on campus, but the Open Mic Night was a nice reminder of how many performers there are, the Communication sophomore said.

“I’m constantly amazed by the level of talent at this school,” she said. “Sometimes you get stuck and forget to make time to watch all those other people. This is a great way to see that talent.”[email protected]

Mayfest hosts first Open Mic Night