Thumbs: Banis, Living Wage, tickets

Thumbs up to 16 years of service from University Vice President for student affairs William BanisBanis announced earlier this week that he will be leaving Northwestern at the end of the 2011-12 school year. Though The Daily has not always agreed with Banis’ positions issues like alcohol amnesty, there is no denying he has contributed a great deal to the NU community. His leadership, knowledge and passion will certainly be missed.

Thumbs down to the NU Living Wage Campaign for holding an event for prospiesThe Daily has written extensively in the past regarding the Living Wage Campaign. Today we question their judgment. Prospective students come to NU to find out reasons they might want to come here. They do not need to be filled in on every political issue at the University, or be invited to a meeting to hear negative things about NU. The Living Wage Campaign is not doing itself any favors with the administration by hosting this event for students who have not accepted a place in the school yet.

Thumbs down to students not filling out the Academic Honor Roll form on the ASG election ballotIt literally could not have been easier for NU students to have a say in how our professors are promoted or given tenure. But less than 50 percent of voters bothered to fill out the page asking for Faculty Honor Roll nominations. It took almost no time and could have had a big impact. The administration takes Faculty Honor Roll seriously, and for students to pass up a chance to have their voices heard is a shame.

Thumbs up to Dan Deacon’s upcoming performance at the One Voice Benefit ConcertIndie electronic artist Dan Deacon will take over the Norris East Lawn on Sunday night. Given the popularity of Passion Pit at he A&O Ball, the similarly upbeat Deacon is a great choice to draw students to the benefit concert, which aims to relieve hunger in Asia. Deacon’s selection also marks a successful collaboration among several of NU’s student entertainment groups, including One Voice, Niteskool Productions, A&O Productions and Mayfest.

Thumbs up to smooth online ticket sales for NU Day at WrigleyTicket sales for NU Day at Wrigley moved online for the first time in the estimated eight-year history of the event. The online sales spared students from the frustrating lines outside the Norris Box Office that have plagued the event in past years. While a few students reported difficulties with the new system, ticket sales went relatively smoothly with 1,480 tickets sold out in an hour. The technology upgrade saved students time and disappointment while effectively distributing tickets to the Cubs game.

Thumbs down to poor student attendance at FMO’s spring concertPassion Pit wasn’t the only group to perform for NU students last weekend. For Members Only brought The Cool Kids and several other openers to NU for the group’s spring concert. But only 150 students attended the show-about half of last year’s crowd. The poor student attendance marks a missed opportunity for students to get a second glimpse of the group that rocked Dillo Day in 2008.