Dan Deacon to rock Norris East Lawn for One Voice Benefit Concert

Those who didn’t satiate their appetite for electronic music at last Friday’s Passion Pit concert will have another chance this Sunday.

Musician Dan Deacon will headline the One Voice Benefit Concert on May 2, the student groups behind the event announced Tuesday.

The event will take place on the Norris University Center East Lawn. Proceeds from the free, donation-based concert will go toward relieving hunger in Asia, said Weinberg senior Katie Halpern, Mayfest co-chair.

Mayfest will be running a food drive at the event for the Chicago Food Depository, said Weinberg senior Carolyn Goldschmidt, director of concerts for A&O Productions and Mayfest.

With a similar musical vibe to Passion Pit, Deacon should be a fun act, said incoming A&O Chairman Barry McCardel.

“This concert’s always been pretty upbeat,” the Communication junior said.

A&O is still “chewing on contracts” with the opener, McCardel said.

The annual event is organized by One Voice, Niteskool Productions, A&O and Mayfest.Niteskool President Lynn Stransky said the group chose Deacon because his music is very danceable and high-energy.

“We thought that Dan Deacon would be a good artist because he’s popular and accessible but still experimental,” the Weinberg senior said.

Halpern said A&O provided their “mad production chops,” Mayfest did promotions and organized field activities and Niteskool narrowed down which artist to bring.

“Basically it’s an orgy,” she said.

Past performers include the indie-band Stars, who also performed on the East Lawn in 2008, and DJ RJD2 and the mash-up duo The Hood Internet in 2009.

This year’s concert will be a hybrid of the past two years as an outdoor concert with an electronic-dancing ambience, Goldschmidt said.

The opener will perform at 7 p.m. and Deacon will take the stage at 8 p.m., she said. If it rains, the concert will be moved to the ground floor of Norris, she said.

“It’s going to be one of the best concert experiences you can have going to a Dan Deacon show,” Goldschmidt said. “I think this is actually kind of perfect, because people seemed to have fun Friday. If they want to continue the party they should definitely come out Sunday.”[email protected]