Las Palmas moves forward with sidewalk cafe proposal

To the chagrin of some of his neighbors, Placido Quintero is one step closer to setting up this season’s sidewalk cafe outside Las Palmas, his Mexican restaurant at 817 University Place.

After obtaining approval from Evanston’s Site Plan and Appearance Review Committee on April 21, Quintero still needs to seek permission from the City Council to renew his permit for three tables. The council, which granted Quintero an initial permit last August, will consider the issue at its May 10 meeting.

Residents of Sherman Gardens, 1886 Sherman Ave., strongly opposed the cafe when Quintero first applied to assemble the outdoor eating area last summer. They said it would be too noisy and lower property values. Four residents who attended the SPAARC meeting last week said they’re still concerned.

“Common sense will tell you, if you put a bar underneath somebody’s window it’s not going to raise property values,” said Joe Kremer after the meeting.

Kremer, who lives with his elderly mother in Sherman Gardens, said residents of the condominiums talked to eight realtors who said the cafe would have a negative effect on the value of surrounding property.

SPAARC heard testimony from both Las Palmas patrons and Sherman Gardens residents before making a decision, Zoning Administrator Bill Dunkley said.

“It was a consideration of what’s fair to the applicant versus the impact on nearby residential use,” he said. “It was pretty fair.”

Quintero said the cafe produces more business during the slower summer months when Northwestern’s student population leaves for break.

“The economy is bad right now,” Quintero said. “A lot of restaurants are going out of business. In the summertime, all the students go, so I try to pick up business.”

Quintero, who said some Sherman Gardens residents used the sidewalk cafe after it opened briefly last August, said he doesn’t think the noise level should bother neighbors.

“There’s only three tables,” Quintero said. “One car driving down the street makes more noise than three tables.”

Dunkley said the next opening for public debate is at the city council meeting, which Kremer said he and his neighbors plan to attend.

– BRITTNEY WONG