NCDC’s ArtsFest fosters community collaboration via canvas

Everyone had the chance to be a showcased artist this week, thanks to the “interactive canvases” that were part of ArtsFest 2010.

Blank canvases, paints and brushes were placed at several Evanston and Northwestern campus locations, including Blick Art Materials, Boocoo, Norris University Center and the Technological Institute. Students and Evanston residents were encouraged to add whatever they pleased to these canvases throughout ArtsFest, the weeklong arts festival organized by Northwestern Community Development Corps. The festival began April 19 and continues through Saturday.

“I thought the whole concept was nifty,” said Weinberg freshman Kaitlin Svabek. “Each individual person contributing something small, combined to make one piece of art is really cool.”

The blank canvases, set on easels in well-traveled areas, were gradually filled with everything from colorful shapes and zoo animals to phrases of school spirit, such as “Go Wildcats!” and “I love Northwestern.” Though business was slow at first, more students started painting on the canvases as the week went on.

“I had a couple of stragglers at first,” said Weinberg junior and NCDC campus outreach co-chair Jessica Zhao, who staffed the canvas set up on the Norris ground floor. “I had more later. I even had some prospies come in and paint on it.”

The canvases, which will be displayed at the festival’s weekend showcase, are part of NCDC’s efforts to bring the Evanston and NU communities closer.

“It’s a great way to promote art and the collaboration between Evanston and Northwestern,” said Amanda Haase, NCDC special events co-chair and SESP junior. “We also just want to get people involved in the arts.”

The canvases have even led others to be more interested in art and take part in something that may be new to them, said Blick employee Andy Pilarski, 26.

“I’ve seen people that wouldn’t normally pick up a paintbrush come in and just try it,” Pilarski said. “People are intimidated by a blank canvas, but they might just say, ‘I’m not an artist but I want to try something here.'”

The canvases are new to ArtsFest, which has been an Evanston and NU tradition for three years. Last year the festival brought in more than 900 participants, and NCDC members hope to top that number this year, Zhao said. Other ArtsFest activities have included workshops, guest speakers and performances. Members say the canvases are a great addition to the festival.

“I think they really embody what we’re about-community, and also the art itself,” Zhao said. “I love that it’s very hands-on.”

ArtsFest’s final showcase will be held at Norris on Saturday, noon to 4 p.m.