Blotter: April 23

View Evanston Crime Map in a larger map

Woman steals assortment of body washes from CVS

A woman stole 10 brands of body wash from CVS, 101 Asbury Ave., on Wednesday morning, police said.

The woman, described to be in her 50s, entered the store at 9:40 a.m. with an empty bag, said Evanston Police Department Cmdr. Tom Guenther. She walked straight to the body wash aisle, put about $60 worth of merchandise in the bag and walked out quickly.Police are investigating.

Evanston man found with marijuana on Greenwood

Police caught a 21-year-old Evanston resident with marijuana flagging down cars Wednesday night, police said.

Someone called police at 8:58 p.m. and said six men were possibly selling drugs on Greenwood Street, Guenther said. When police arrived, they saw the resident, Christopher Charles Clifton of 2424 Church St., flagging down cars. They stopped him, and he threw down a clear plastic bag filled with a green leafy substance. The police picked up the bag and took him back to the police department, where they found another bag of the substance on him. The substance tested positive for marijuana.

Police have charged Clifton with marijuana possession. His trial date is May 28, Guenther said.

Student spills toxic chemicals in Silverman Hall

A student spilled hazardous chemicals in Silverman Hall, 2170 Campus Drive, on Wednesday, University Police said.

The student said she dropped a glass containing 200 milliliters of piperidine and dimethylformamide, both of which are toxic, UP added UP BC Deputy Chief Dan McAleer said. She also called the Office for Research Safety, which advised her to clean it up herself because the spill was small. She and two other students wiped the floor, taped cardboard and plastic over it so it would be safe to walk on and put up warning signs.

The Office for Research Safety planned to assess the area Thursday and dispose of the items used to clean the spill.

– REBECCA COHEN