Jazz players in Norris promote Northwestern’s Music Marathon

The jazz musicians who played at Starbucks in Norris University Center on Tuesday night-for the second time in two weeks-weren’t just public performance art. The students have been publicizing Northwestern’s jazz program and promoting Music Marathon, which will take place April 30.

The four-night series began April 6 with two more performances scheduled for May 4 and May 18. About five to seven musicians will play at each performance.

Weinberg freshman Nickolas Kaplan said the group informally decided to hold the series.

“A couple of us got together to have a gig series to raise awareness about the jazz program,” he said. “Most of the same people will be performing at Music Marathon also, so it serves a dual purpose of publicizing that as well.”

Kaplan said different combinations of musicians would perform each time, but they will always be in the same location. Tuesday, the group featured vocalist Marlena Dzis, a Bienen graduate student.

“It’s an informal concert setting where we’re getting together to play jazz standards,” Kaplan said. “We hope there will be people who want to check out our music, or maybe people who aren’t as interested in jazz. It can also be for friends who will get to see us in a more intimate setting.”

Bienen freshman Robinson Meyer said he came to listen with this in mind.

“I know the players, and I love jazz,” he said. “I like the improvisational nature. You’re watching creations.”

Bienen sophomore Elisabeth Bussey agreed.

“I love that there can be very different types of jazz,” she said. “It just has a great history in the United States. It’s really the music of America.”

Tad Duval, who played bass in the jazz performance Tuesday night, said he expected students to stop by “just to hear some good musicians who go to Northwestern.”

Duval, a Bienen sophomore, said he will also play in Music Marathon, a 26-hour concert in Regenstein Recital Hall. Musicians playing in the event raise money themselves, and people who watch the concert have opportunities to donate online or at the event.

He said money raised for the event will go to support the People’s Music School in Chicago, which offers free music lessons to children.

Meyer, a music education major, said he hopes the jazz concert series in Norris will promote the Marathon, which he considers a worthy cause.

“It’s a great event,” he said. “There’s a lot of stuff which needs to be done funding-wise, and musicians are always happy to play.”[email protected]