Trevor Seela named editor of Daily’s summer edition

Students Publishing Co., The Daily’s publisher, announced Monday that Trevor Seela will be the editor in chief of The Summer Northwestern for 2010.

Seela, a Medill junior, applied against one other candidate and was selected for the position because of a variety of jobs he has held at The Daily, said Charles Whitaker, SPC board chairman and Medill professor.

“They were both immensely qualified,” Whitaker said. “The thing that gave Trevor the edge is that he has such a vast array of experience with The Daily.”

Seela has previously served as photo editor, design co-editor and managing editor of online content for The Daily. Seela said he is excited to gain even more experience.

“I can’t wait to finally report for the first time in my Daily career,” Seela said.

Whitaker said Seela was a stand-out applicant, since he has the technical knowledge to produce a paper should there be limited outside assistance, as The Summer Northwestern can “have a tendency for things to go wrong.”

“We feel comfortable that should something go wrong, he would be able to step in and keep the trains running,” Whitaker said.

Matt Forman, a Medill junior and current editor in chief of The Daily Northwestern, said he thinks Seela will excel in the position.

“Trevor has never ceased to impress me,” Forman said. “He commands the respect of the newsroom because of his experience, and he’s also one of the most liked staffers. … Trevor’s experience speaks for itself. He has an incredible knowledge of the way the newspaper works, and I don’t for a second question his ability to take the summer edition to new heights.”

– Ali Elkin