Talib to open at Riviera

“Established” hip-hop performer Talib Kweli will open for Passion Pit at the A&O Ball on April 23.

“He’s kind of a big deal in the hip-hop scene,” said Weinberg senior Carolyn Goldschmidt, concerts director for A&O Productions. “He’s really been doing this for a long time. He’s not some random rapper.”

Students at NU have enjoyed hip-hop performances in the past and should be pleased by a “solid” performer in Kweli, followed by the high energy of Passion Pit, Goldschmidt said.

“Talib is definitely very high energy,” said Barry McCardel, co-director of promotions and public relations for A&O. “It’ll be a great way to get students excited for the rest of the night.”

Tickets go on sale to undergraduates for $10 Friday at 10:30 a.m. via the online Norris University Center Box Office system. Students can buy up to four tickets per Net ID.

Graduate students can buy any leftover tickets for $15 starting April 16.

Transportation to the show, which will be at the Riviera Theatre, is included in the price of tickets. Buses will leave the Sports Pavilion and Aquatics Center and Cahn Auditorium every 15 minutes beginning at 6 p.m. and ending at 7:45 p.m. They’ll return to campus immediately after the concert.

Kweli has worked with a variety of other artists including Kanye West, Justin Timberlake, Mos Def and Norah Jones. Some of his more popular songs on iTunes include “Get By” and “Hot Thing,” featuring will.i.am. The rapper has been making music dating back to the 1990s and has released four solo albums.

McCardel said the mixture of an established, long-performing artist like Kweli with the recent music sensation Passion Pit will appeal to the crowd.

“We’re really excited because we think together they’ll have a great show students will remember for a long time,” he said.

Doors open at 7 p.m., and the concert begins at 8 p.m.

Talib to open at Riviera