Passion Pit to headline A&O Ball, opener still to be finalized

Those left empty-handed for Friday’s sold out Passion Pit concert at Congress Theater will have another chance to see the electro-indie band at the A&O Ball on April 23.

The concert, A&O Productions’ biggest spring show, will be held at the Riviera Theatre in Chicago.

“We’re confident it’s going to be very popular,” said Barry McCardel, co-director of promotions and public relations for A&O. “I don’t know anyone who has heard Passion Pit and hasn’t broken out into a spontaneous dance.”

The organization hasn’t finalized contracts with the opening act, but it will likely be a hip-hop performer, the Communication junior said.

Tickets will go on sale for undergraduates April 9 for $10. Any leftover tickets will be available to graduate students beginning April 16 for $15.

Passion Pit has “blown up in popularity,” McCardel said.

The band released their first EP, “Chunk of Change,” in 2008. After the May 2009 release of their full-length album “Manners,” their popularity grew with the single “Sleepyhead,” the band’s most popular track on iTunes.

Weinberg junior Max Allison, who attended Passion Pit’s concert this weekend, said Northwestern students would enjoy the music, which created a “dance party” atmosphere Friday night.

“They covered a Cranberries song, which I’m like way into,” Allison said.

Many people have heard the song “Sleepyhead,” but even those who haven’t listened to the band can enjoy dancing to the group’s “melodic and poppy” sound, he said.

Students can buy four tickets per WildCARD via the Norris University Center Box Office online system. The show is open only to the NU community, and WildCARDs will be checked at the doors to the concert, McCardel said.

“We recommend students buy tickets as soon as possible,” he said. “This show has historically sold out.”

Last year, A&O brought Ludacris to campus for a 1,500-ticket show at Patten Gymnasium, which quickly sold out.

A&O selected the Riviera in order to allow as many students as possible to attend, McCardel said. The organization was able to secure funding from Associated Student Government to host the event off campus and offer about 2,000 tickets, he said.

“Patten is not a venue at all,” McCardel said. “Riviera is a great venue for (Passion Pit).”Transportation to and from the venue is included with the cost of tickets.[email protected]